Paella is one of the most international Spanish dishes. In addition, in its vegetarian version it is one of the tastiest vegetable dishes and is perfect for sharing it at a family gathering or with friends.
Read on to learn how to prepare a spectacular vegetable paella, step by step.
What do I need to make a delicious vegetable paella?
The taste of a vegetable paella will depend largely on the quality of 3 main ingredients.
Firstly the rice, it must be a short, round grain rice, capable of absorbing the flavour of the other ingredients without breaking down or overcooking. The best rice for preparing paellas is undoubtedly Valencian bomba rice. A high quality rice that was on the verge of disappearing due to its high production cost and low crop yield.
The sofrito is the second most important ingredient. Sofrito is a kind of ratatouille of different vegetables. A good traditional Spanish dish cannot exist without a good sofrito as a base.
Finally, to give intensity and smoky nuances to our vegetable paella, we will need a good paprika de la Vera, an essential ingredient in many Spanish recipes.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 piquillo peppers
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 courgette, peeled and diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 small spoonful of paprika de la Vera
- 5-6 strands of saffron
- Salt and pepper
- 400 g of bomba rice or paella rice
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- In a medium paella pan (approximately 32-36 cm), heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the piquillo peppers, onion and peppers. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, paprika, saffron, courgette and tomatoes and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and hot stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the rice absorbs most of the stock. Do not stir the rice.
- Cover with aluminium foil and place the paella pan in the oven at 175 ºC for another 10 minutes. To serve, garnish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley.