Cooking veal cheeks is very simple. It is a traditional and delicious dish, perfect for winter. In this recipe we share with you how to do it step by step with a very original touch so you can surprise your family this coming Christmas.
This recipe for Veal Cheeks cooked in Red Wine and Nougat from Jijona is a version created in our beloved restaurant El Hans and which was kept on the menu until its closing in 2019, so we have a special affection for it.
INGREDIENTS (for 4 people)
- 2 beef cheek
- 100 g Turrón de Xixona (almond nougat)
- 1 large onion
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 450 ml meat broth
- 200 ml red wine
- 100 ml olive oil
- Black pepper
BEEF CHEEK IN RED WINE AND "TURRÓN DE JIJONA" STEP BY STEP
- We clean the beef cheek and remove the tissue that covers it. We add salt and black pepper.
- We put a pan with a little olive oil and mark the cheeks until a caramelized crust is formed. We reserve them.
- Add the onion, carrot and leek to a pot over medium heat with a little olive oil. When the vegetables are toasted, add the concentrated tomato and leave for a few minutes.
- Add the red wine and deglaze for a few minutes. Add the veal cheeks and the meat stock to the saucepan until covered. We put the spices we chose: cloves, cinnamon, thyme, bay leaves ...
- We cover the pot and cook over medium heat until the cheeks are soft. This usually takes an hour and a half to two hours. When the cheeks are tender, remove them and let the sauce reduce. We pass the sauce through a sieve.
- We present the cheeks on a flat or deep plate, add the sauce and put a little crumbled Jijona nougat on the cheeks. We can accompany it with a good puree or a potato gratin.